skip to Main Content

As you travel across the majestic country of Australia in your quality 4WD rental or campervan for hire from our outstanding rental fleet, keep this information in mind:

Aboriginal Land Permits

Aboriginal lands are private property. Tracks on these lands will be marked “Permit Required.” However, applying for a permit does not automatically mean it will be granted. Even if you are granted a permit, it is important to read the term carefully. Also remember that permission can be withdrawn at any time.

Permits are granted by the responsible Land Council. It is important to note that Councils carry out the instructions given by the traditional owners (or T.O.’s) living along the tracks. As there may be many such T.O.s, in communities or outstations, conditions can vary. In fact, many times your permit application is carried to the T.O.’s physically for their approval. Unfortunately, as more travellers have disregarded permit requirements and travelled regardless, many locations have shut to visitors completely.

The two types of permits issues are:
Transit permits: These permits allow you to transit through the area only. Stopping, leaving the track, or camping is not automatically allowed, as there are many sacred sites along the way. When you apply for a transit permit, you are usually asked to nominate a window of travel from 3 days to as long as a month. If a longer window is accepted, it generally means you can stop or camp.

Entry permits: These permits allow you to “access and remain on aboriginal land.” They are usually applicable if you are visiting a community or staying overnight.

Costs of permits, access and camping vary from free to over $100.

National Parks Passes and Permits

New South Wales

At some New South Wales parks and reserves, you’ll need to pay a daily entry fee when you visit in your motor vehicle. This only applies to 46 parks – less than 10 per cent of all the protected areas we manage.

However, it only takes a few visits to NSW national parks to discover that it’s more convenient and economical to purchase an annual pass. This saves you money, and it’s much easier than buying day passes each time you visit your favourite park. After just a few visits, your annual pass will pay for itself! You’ll also be supporting nature conservation and improvement of facilities in the park.

Northern Territory

The Parks and Wildlife Service of the Northern Territory charges park visitors for certain services and the use of campground facilities. Not all parks are accessible.

In addition to the national parks, Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife Commission manages over 85 protected areas, including Nature Parks, Reserves, Conservation Areas and Recreation Areas. Permits are required for social functions, remote area, commercial filming and photography, pets, collection of flora and fauna and undertaking other commercial activity.

South Australia

South Australia’s parks and reserves (excluding Flinders Chase National Park) are free to enter on foot or by bicycle.

A small number of parks collect a vehicle entry fee to contribute to the conservation, management and improvement of the parks’ visitor facilities. All vehicles must display their entry permit affixed to the windscreen of the passenger side of their vehicle to avoid a fine.

Camping areas and accommodation are available within many parks, with nightly fees payable in addition to the once-off vehicle entry fee. Camping is permitted in a single park for a maximum of five consecutive nights.


Passes available from: Online Parks Shop, National Park Visitor Centres, Tasmania Travel Information Centres, Spirit of Tasmania, Service Tasmania Shops.

There are a variety of pass options, including Annual and Two Year passes.


Entry to all of Victoria’s National Parks is free. Camping fees, which vary from park to park, apply in many National Parks.

Western Australia

Entry to many of our parks and to use most of the facilities provided is free of charge. Where fees do apply, funds go directly to conservation programs and to develop and maintain facilities.

Back To Top